During 2020, Caritas Albania in cooperation with the Global Albanians Foundation supported many families with basic needs.
This intervention had two phases. In the first phase, the marginalized families in the 4 Caritas Diocesan were supported with bedding: mattress, quilt, blanket, sheet, and pillow.
In the second phase with the funds for COVID, the intervention in the two Caritas Diocesan of Shkodra and SAPE continued.
Caritas Albania has supported families with bedding because:
- In the period March – July 2020 many families are supported with basic needs such as food and hygiene.
- Public and civil society institutions are also focused on food and hygiene / disinfection support.
- Earthquake affected families living in poor conditions as well as poorer families do not have access to bedding which are suitable for the winter period.
- The situation of COVID – 19 is expected to be more severe in the winter period due to seasonal viruses.
- Beds have a high cost which is difficult for these families to afford.
For this reason, Caritas Albania, with the support of GAF and its own funds, has helped 30 families to have bedding materials for their families, especially children and the elderly.
In October 2020 with GAF funds for COVID were distributed to 25 families:
- • 30 single mattresses
- • 50 single quilts
- • 50 pillows
- • 50 sheets
The package for 20 families was: 1 mattress, 2 quilts, 2 pillows and 2 pairs of sheets.
The package for 5 families due to the great poverty was: 2 single mattresses, 2 quilts, 2 pillows and 2 pairs of sheets.